I didn’t have hair until I was about two years old.
The several few years that followed, it was SO blonde and thin that you couldn’t even tell I had hair. Bows wouldn’t stay in. Ponytails would fall out instantly. I was mistaken for a boy quite often. It was a constant struggle to get my hair to cooperate. My parents literally prayed for the future of my hair… Well, those prayers were answered and God provided tenfold because now I have enough for a village and it’s as dark as brown can be (sometimes).
Since I get so many questions about my hair, I thought I would do a whole post dedicated to it!
I will preface by saying that my hair routine is rather simple. I don’t use a ton of products and my tools are several years old. It took me a few years to figure out the perfect curling technique to accomplish the look I like best. So, if you ever want to change up your do, I will say it takes A LOT of training. But you can do it!
My hair does two things: straight and curly. Beyond that I am completely inept! Braids, half buns, top knots, and everything else in between is beyond my comprehension and capabilities 😂 I wear it curled almost every day and I use this 1 1/4 inch iron to do the trick! Here’s my curling routine every morning:
- Section off into three parts from top to bottom with a hair tie. Start with the bottom layer.
- If I want tighter curls, I’ll take a small chunk of hair. If I want looser curls, I’ll take a bigger chunk.
- Start with the curling iron half way down your piece and twist all the way up to your scalp.
- Slightly open the curling iron and move down the piece of hair, opening and closing the clamp to catch the hair and twisting up every now and then.
- When you’ve reached the ends, twist the curling iron all the way to the scalp and hold for 10 seconds.
- Release the curl, spray with hairspray and move to the next piece.
- When your done, flip your head over and comb your fingers through your hair to break up the ringlets.
Below are a few products I use and swear by!
I can’t talk about my hair routine without mentioning my favorite dry shampoo: Rooted. I only wash my hair once every three days, but sometimes I’m in a pinch and only have time for some dry shampoo. Ladies, this product is a LIFE SAVER! Here’s why it’s better than any other dry shampoo I’ve ever used… It’s organic! This stuff cleans your roots of the bacteria and oil, stimulates collagen, reduces hair loss and is full of vitamins! The formula is made with Keratin fibers that add amazing volume and texture. The best part? It’s made in my home state of Oklahoma! The founder, Amy, is the sweetest 😊 Check out her Instagram for more info.
The first time I curled my hair was in college and they were so tight I looked like Shirley Temple. It took years for me to perfect, so if you’re frustrated with getting your hair to curl, don’t give up! If you have any questions, comment below.