Have you ever fallen in love with a piece of clothing only to discover the price tag is bigger than your budget?
I can’t tell you how often this happens to me. While I enjoy to splurge every now and then, I do have a pretty strict monthly budget for shopping. During the months that seem to be a little tighter, I often go to cheaper retail stores, search for a major sale or don’t buy anything at all 😢 ThredUP has brought a whole new meaning to shopping on a budget and I’m not mad about it! If you aren’t familiar with thredUP, it’s an amazing company takes gently used clothing items and resells them for dirt cheap. I got this adorable romper and handbag for under $50!
I used to be intimidated by the hunt of going through secondhand items even though I’ve heard so many stories from friends who landed amazing finds. The in-person and physical “stress” of searching turned me off until I started poking around thredUP. Here are five reasons why you should shop secondhand:
- You can find designer products for a fraction of the cost. While neither of the items I snagged from thredUP are from major designers, they did retail for about $50-75. I got this romper for $18 and this bag for $21. There is a “Designer Collection” tab where you can find like-new, expensive pieces for WAY less. There are also items on here that still have the original tags on them!
- Their collection is constantly changing. ThredUP updates their website with new items on a daily basis. If you don’t see any you like, come back the next day for new arrivals.
- It’s like going on a (slightly competitive) treasure hunt. I’m not going to lie, you will have to do some digging to find the items you like on thredUP. Because they are only getting one piece of each item in at a time, you have to snag it before anyone else does. And that’s kind of fun!
- You can find items that are no longer made or in stock elsewhere. This is especially true for handbags. ThredUP is your best bet to finding items that are no longer in production.
- You don’t have to leave your house. My favorite kind of shopping is the kind you can sit on the couch in your pjs with big ole glass of wine. YOu can do exactly that while rummaging through the thredUP website. It is so easy to navigate and filter through!
Thredup has definitely changed my mind when it comes thrift shopping. I hope these reasons change you mind too!
Because spring has officially sprung and you can’t shop the adorable romper, I’ve linked several under $30 patterned rompers that are perfect for the changing seasons.